Thursday, April 30, 2009

Fallingwater

I was in Farmington, PA the past few days for a business conference at the Nemacolin Woodlands Resort. I had a free morning and took the opportunity to visit Fallingwater, the famous home built over a waterfall - designed by Frank Lloyd Wright for the Kaufmann family.

I was intially disappointed to learn that there are no tours of the house on Wednesdays -the only time I was able to go - but was able to purchase a grounds pass, which is essentially a self-guided tour of the exterior. I figured this was better than nothing.

I was so pleased with the experience. Although I wasn't able to go inside the house, I could still walk around on several of the terraces, and peer in the windows. Since the outdoor spaces of Fallingwater are an integral part of the overall design, I still got a strong sense of the style and feel of it all.

the iconic view of Fallingwater


And the best part? THERE WAS NO ONE ELSE THERE. I am not kidding about this. There was one other car in the parking lot, and whoever it was, I never saw them. 135,000 people visit Fallingwater every year, and I had the grounds completely to myself. No people wandering through my photos. No pressure to hurry along. It was a wonderful silver lining, and I left not minding so much that I hadn't gotten the full tour.

No comments:

Post a Comment