Thursday, March 26, 2009

Things That Annoy Me

While it is a rather lengthy and varied list, this is what I encountered today:


I saw this sign today on the paper towel dispenser in my workplace. Now, I am totally supportive of the concept here. They are difficult to access...I either wind up with a tiny little torn bit about an inch across, or with a handful of paper towels about two inches thick. I applaud the initiative of the person who put up the sign.

However...see those quotation marks?

Is the writer intending to be ironic, and the "Please" is completely insincere? Or is the writer quoting someone who struggled with the paper towel dispenser and simply gave up and said, "Please!!" as if requesting divine intervention?

Misuse of quotation marks drives me nuts. I'm exponentially more annoyed by the sign than by the underlying paper towel situation.

I'm not even going to get into apostrophes - I just don't have the strength, and I doubt you have the time.

2 comments:

  1. Good point And I think we both know someone in the Erie office who uses quotation marks excessively. Jody :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I recognize the handwriting! HA!

    ReplyDelete